Our 21st tournament took place on Saturday 23rd June at The National Savings Bank Sports & Social Club at Cowglen.

For the first time we had 24 teams taking part with Partick Thistle B taking the place of Motherwell who dropped out the week before the tournament.

With the weather having been pretty foul in the days before the tournament there were doubts whether we would get a rain free tournament…………..

11:30 – The tournament gets underway a mere thirty minutes behind schedule with the weather looking threatening but dry.

Our team open their group with a 1-0 win over Rangers thanks to a goal from Gordon Maxwell. We have a large squad available under the “leadership” of Paul Joyce who is managing the side whilst having a bottle of lager in his hand.

Elsewhere new boys Internazioswally (Airdrie) lose their first game 2-0 to Broadwood Clyde who are making their second appearance in the tournament after being runners up in the very first Ian Younger Sixes in 1995.

11:45 – Another new team, Morton immediately fit in with the tournament by holding a minute’s silence in memory of Bernard Manning. They then proceed to don curly wigs and moustaches to take on Tranmere Rovers. The first tackle by a Rovers play is high but he is told to “calm down, clam down”.

Bristol Rovers amazingly score two goals in their opening game, but are beaten 3-2 by Edinburgh City who include in their side Jimmy McKellar who scored in the very first tournament, The Hampden Trophy, in 1987.

12:00 – Another two new teams are in opposition as the QP Ladies become the first female team to take part in our tournaments. Unfortunately they are beaten 4-0 by Valley from Castlemilk.

In a battle of the teams from “oop North”, former winners Coasters, complete with their full complement of Amateur superstars, win easily against Duror who even at this stage of the day are pretty well on in the drinking stakes.


The Classic QP team lose out 2-0 to Appin but include in their team Ally Donaldson, the youngest player on the day at a mere fifteen. His dad John, or “JD” as Ally called him, is also in the team. Appin’s Calum MacDonald provides the first tantrum of the day after he takes a knock from Ally who wins the ball off him and follows through. Calum dries his eyes enough to realise it was a wee boy that hurt him.

12:15 – Two wins in a row for the hosts as Bristol Rovers are seen off 3-0.

Two draws in a row for Leyton Orient as they draw 1-1 with Internazioswally. Raph dreams of a Trophy victory.

Tranmere lose to Ayr and hold a loud inquest. Manager Colin McPherson is conspicuous by his absence.

12:30 – First win for QPSA as they defeat Morton 2-0, a shut out for the legendary Martin Harvey.

12:45 – A defeat for the hosts as Partick A get the solitary goal.

A surprise as Forest defeat Appin 2-1.

13:00 – The Classic’s get a win against St.Johnstone who include Gav Stewart outfield to obviously try and win the Wooden Spoon. A couple of our young team have to play for the Classics as the barbecue opens which means half the team now have to work for the rest of the day.

Leyton lose to Valley, oh well, always next year.

13:15 – PSJ make plenty of friends by keeping the losing run going for the Ladies team.

In the game of the tournament Duror edge past Morton 1-0.

13:30 – Leyton Orient’s Pete Ranger, Brian Allen’s young brother, scores against Broadwood Clyde but they still lose 3-1.

Rangers gain their second win in a row against the mighty Bristol Rovers.

13:45 – A second defeat in a row for the hosts as Airdrie are victorious 3-1.

14:00 – QPSA defeat Duror 3-0 despite some hefty challenges from the villagers.

A high scoring sequence of games as ten goals are scored even with Rangers and Partick A managing a goalless draw.

14:15 – Morton score their first goal of the day and celebrate like they’ve won the Trophy. They lose 4-1 to Coasters.

Jimmy McKellar turns back the clock and scores a wonder goal for Edinburgh City against Airdrie in a team that includes Jah Lumsden and Colin McPherson from the 1987 Meadowbank Team’85, Big Stormy and Rab MacDonald. A real veteran’s team.

14:30 – Tranmere destroy Duror 8-0 as the villagers drinking takes its toll.

The QP Ladies win at last, only because their opponents were Leyton Orient. Well done to the O’s who become the first team to lose to a female team. And to think that Jamie Stripe used to be a good goalkeeper.

14:45 – Another high scoring round as 21 goals are scored in the four games as tiredness kicks in.

15:00 – The last of the group games and Morton score again but still lose to Ayr United who qualify for the Trophy Quarter Finals for the first time.

Also through to the Quarters are Partick A, Airdrie, Broadwood Clyde, Valley, Partick B, Appin and Coasters.

15:30 – The first round of the Plate takes place and the QP v Internazioswally game is stopped as Valley decided to head home as it’s been too long a day. Organiser Raph’s decision is that Internazioswally should take their place in the Quarters as they finished third in the group. “No, no, no, no”, as it turns out PSJ actually finished third. Might have to replay the competition now.

QPSA defeat the QP Ladies in front of the biggest crowd of the day as the Ladies came back from a 2-0 deficit to draw level but lose out 4-2. World renowned referee AKC Harvey (65) takes charge of a keenly contested game.

15:45 – Morton score five goals (four of them penalties) but lose out to Edinburgh City whilst Bristol Rovers also score five (four of them penalties) and also got out, to PSJ.

Duror are out as well after Classic QP score the only goal of the game that gets cut short as the visitors struggle to stand, and put the boot in.

16:00 - Time for the “real” players to have a go, ie some of the ones who were moaning that they had to wait so long for their games.

In the Trophy Quarters Airdrie, Broadwood Clyde, Partick B and Coasters get through. But most only people are really only there for the Plate, and the beer.

16:15 – The Plate Quarters and QPSA lose out to St.Mirren in a five goal thriller.

It’s a seven goal thriller which sees Rangers defeat Edinburgh City with Wee Jimmy scoring again.

Heartache for the two home sides as the Classics got out to two late goals against Forest after Young Ally had put them ahead.

The youngsters are also unlucky losing 9-8 on penalties to PSJ after the game had finished 1-1.

16:30 – In the Trophy Semis the holders, Partick B, go out as Broadwood Clyde and Airdrie get through, both by single goals.

16:45 – It’s single goal wins in the Plate Semis as well as Forest, last year’s Runners Up, and St.Mirren head for the Final.

17:00 – Broadwood Clyde easily win the Trophy Final 3-0 against Airdrie who don’t take defeat well and give the referee a hard time.

17:15 – Forest win their first trophy in their eleventh visit to the tournament. A single goal is enough to defeat St.Mirren who did remarkably well to get through their nine game with only a pool of six players. Our Crossers did come on in the Final when Stevie McGarvey limped off after a heavy challenge, by him.

17:25 – The first rain of the day, just as the Plate Final reaches the final whistle.

18:15 – The Quiz starts after the teams had all been thanked over the microphone. St.Mirren and Morton join in some witty banter.

19:00 – Presentation time at last with Keith McAllister, the QPSA Supremo and QPFC Committee Member, doing the honours.

First up are our team awards with Arthur McCue (100th appearance) and John Kirkland (200th appearance) receiving shields.

The Top Scorer award went to Gordon Maxwell for the third year in a row. Mark Hume was the Player’s Player of the Year and Paul Joyce was Player of the Year.

The day’s presentations started with a birthday cake in honour of four tournament stalwarts who had reached milestones. Raph, Crossers, Gary from Bristol Rovers and Bertie from Coasters were the recipients.

The Plate was awarded to Nottingham Forest then medals were handed out to Airdrie and Broadwood Clyde who also received the Ian Younger Sixes Trophy. Clyde’s Chris McGee made a speech on behalf of his side.

The Quiz was won by QPSA (and Ross and Davie from Hibs).

Finally, our skipper Barry Cook asked Keith to present Mr C with a gift for surviving twenty years with the team. Mr C was suitably under whelmed.

19:30 – The gay disco begins and Gav from Perth is immediately on the dance floor.

21:30 – “Lip Up Fatty” is played for the tenth time.

00:15 – The night finishes with Loch Lomond.


Another excellent day with the football being played, in the main, in the right spirit.

Good to see so many old faces there during the day and there was plenty of banter throughout the day and night.

As ever, the day couldn’t have been a success without the help of so many people:-

To Cowglen for the facilities and the bar

To QPFC and Logan Taylor for the loan of the goals after we were let down on the Wednesday night by Firhill

To John Kirkland for transporting the goals from Hampden and back

To Raph for organising the fixtures and results and doing it in his usual unflappable manner

To all the people who refereed during the day and especially to Rory and John from Leyton Orient who whistled the Finals

To the Crosbie family for looking after the barbecue

To Alec Drennan for the us of his barbecue and to Colin McGowan and Arthur McCue for getting the Barbie food on the day

To Catherine and Tricia for making up the filled rolls

To Dave Brown, John Drennan, The Crosbies and Tricia (Mrs C) for providing accommodation to the Leyton Orient team

And to everybody else who helped out on the day and made the day the success it was

And finally, to all those people who turned up and enjoyed themselves.

Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here