Our 25th annual tournament took place on Saturday 25th June at Lesser Hampden and was a great success.

Despite reports to the contrary the weather was good to us on a day when we had our largest ever amount of teams present.

For the first time we had two foreign visiting teams with JK Jalgpallihaigla making the journey from Estonia and SG Wattenscheid 09, who have a long history with Queen’s Park, came over from Germany.

Unfortunately our friends from Belgium, Paris St.Germain, were unable to attend the tournament but we hope to see them at some point during the new season.

As ever the festivities started on Friday with the arrival of many of our visitors from “Down South” and Leyton were situated in their usual place in the Horseshoe Bar from 1pm.

The eighteen strong Leyton squad, the most people they’ve ever brought to Glasgow, were all decked out in checked shirts as a tribute to Raph The Taff, or more likely as that’s all they have in their wardrobes.

In the evening the crowd had swelled and The Vale Bar was the venue for the pre-tourney gathering and darts competition which our own Calum Colquhoun won.

Unfortunately CC bumped his head later on that night which stopped him playing football but, to his enormous credit, he came along to the Sixes and refereed and helped out during the day.

Saturday dawned with disappointing news as Appin called off early which left us with a mere 39 teams in the tournaments.

We got the use of the pitch at 12 noon and the tournament started not long after that.

Here is how the football went:-

Ian Younger Sixes – Group A

There were two new teams in Group A, Scotstoun Park Galaxy and Posh Youth, as well as the holders Coasters and Troon, Shrewsbury and Ormond Saints.

Troon were the eventual winners as they won four of their games and only lost one, to Coasters.

The competition for second place went down to goal difference as Coasters and Shrewsbury finished on the same points and goals scored.

Coasters seven goals against Posh Youth in the last game saw them through with Shrewsbury, represented by the Glasgow Shrews, unlucky to go into the Plate.

Both Scotstoun and Ormonds had their successes whilst Posh Youth, the youngest team in the main competition, lost all their games but did have the consolation of scoring three goals.

Ian Younger Sixes – Group B

Another two new teams were in Group B with JK Jalgpallihaigla and Worthing, from England’s South Coast, making their debuts.

It was also great to see Merthyr Town (nee Tydfil) making a welcome return after a long absence and Mark “Wolvesy” Evans had brought a young team of his son Nathan and friends.

Oxford, Scotspurs and our own QP Hoops were also in the group.

In a huge surprise, Merthyr, with Wolvesy in goals, won all their games to progress to the Quarters and Scotspurs joined them after only losing one game.

Our Estonian friends started off well with a 3-1 win over QP Hoops and they then followed that with two draws before losing heavily to the top two in the group.

Oxford managed a win against Worthing who drew with Jalgpallihaigla which was their best result.

As for QP Hoops, they started the tournament with high hopes but only managed one win and finished second bottom of their group.

They were represented by Martin Kelly, Andy Dick, Ally Dick, Craig McKenna, Paul Joyce, Sean Connolly and Adam Walker and apparently their excuse was that they had too many flair players !

Ian Younger Sixes – Group C

This was the group that was unfortunately a team short, and the only all Scottish group.

Not surprisingly Partick finished top but there was a surprise in second place as Rangers edged out Kaiasyr.

MacDonald Rovers and QPSA filled the last two places, scoring one goal apiece.

The QPSA team held their own well in the group and they included one of our Legends, David “Fergal” Ferguson who hasn’t played since being injured in 2005.

The rest of their squad included; Andy McNaught (snr), Tam Moon, Sean Paul and Christopher Havlon, Fraser Gibson, Calshy and Derek Stronach.

Ian Younger Sixes – Group D

Our German friends Wattenscheid were in this group along with our less fancied team, QP Irn Bru.

Leyton Orient's young team kicked things off against Plate specialists Ayr United and put in a great performance as they won 2-0.

Unfortunately when Queen's and Wattenscheid played each other, in the second group game, one of the Wattenscheid players, Markus Wiatr, suffered an injury when he fell and dislocated his elbow in two places.

An ambulance did eventually arrive, only took forty five minutes despite the hospital being just along the road, and Markus was attended to before being taken to the Victoria Infirmary.

Although Markus required an operation it was decided that he was able to travel home and he left with the rest of the squad on the Monday.

The news is that the operation was a success and Markus is on the road to recovery and we wish him well.

With the long delay to the action due to Markus' injury, and the game finely poised at 1-1 the decision was made by both teams to shorten the game to five minutes of play. Queen's came up trumps in the end with Alan Galindo slamming in a winner from close range but had to survive some intense pressure in the dying moments.

Wattenscheid hit the post twice before defender Calum Stewart produced a save that Wee Raymie would be proud of, tipping the ball around the post with Dougie stranded. Our esteemed referee from East London, didn't see it though, and most of the Germans were too drunk to notice, and QP got off to a winning start.

Next up was the first game of the day for Raith Rovers, wearing a fetching shade of pink. Their shocking tops weren't enough to distract eventual group winners Tranmere Rovers who ran out 1-0 victors.

Wattenscheid were back on for the next game and picked up their first ever point in the Ian Younger Sixes with a draw versus Ayr. Plenty of meaty tackles were exchanged in a hard hitting game but Wattenscheid were up for it and secured a draw late on with a fine solo goal.

The Bru were finally back on, against Tranmere, and they went down by four goals in what was their worst showing of the day.

A double by Galindo and a string of fine saves from Lyden helped Queen's secure a 2-0 win over Orient in their next game before a frustrating goalless draw with Ayr United in which neither side could fashion any clear chances at goal.

Bru needed to win their final group match against Raith Rovers but David Blair's goal was only enough to secure a 1-1 draw and two of our English visitors in Tranmere and Leyton Orient qualified for the quarter finals.

The Irn Bru team failed to qualify by a single goal and they put on a great show in the group despite their lack of flair players!

Ayr United did enough to make sure they qualified for the Plate whilst Wattenscheid and Raith Rovers filled the bottom two places.

The Bru made their way through the Prelims with a penalty kicks victory over McDonald Rovers, before facing up to Ayr again.

 Another goalless draw followed and penalty misses from Andy McNaught and Lyden saw United through on their way to the Plate!

Their squad was; Dougie Lyden, Andy McNaught jnr, Ally McNaught, Alan Galindo, Fraser Marr, Calum Stewart and David Blair.

Ian Younger Sixes – Knockout Stage

As expected the four Quarter Finals were close affairs. Two of them went to penalties with Coasters and Scotspurs, who had been two down to Tranmere, going through.

In the other two games Troon and Merthyr prevailed against Rangers and the O’s.

The Semi Finals weren’t quite as close as Troon out four past Merthyr and Scotspurs put out the holders Coasters.

There were two new teams in the Final and Troon edged out Scotspurs in a five goal thriller with Jonny Wilson scoring two goals in the last three minutes to complete his hat trick.

Congratulations to Troon and well done also to Scotspurs who battled through the day with only a squad of six.

Ian Younger Sixes – Plate Competition

Plate specialists Ayr United did it again and defeated Ormond Saints 4-1 in the Final after getting past Kaisayr and QP Irn Bru on penalties then winning 1-0 against Oxford in the Semis.

Queen’s managed to have three teams in the Quarters but only one, QPSA, made it through with the other two losing out in penalty shoot outs.

Gary Brooks Masters – Group A

Undoubtedly the oldest group of the day, as you might have gathered this group was hand picked to mark the special occasion of our 25th tournament.

The games were played at a slow pace but with a tremendous amount of skill and obviously in the right spirit amongst old friends.

Dulwich opened the group with a win over The O’s who included in their side Dave Knight, Tom Davies, Stripey MaRipey, Silly Arthur, Woody, Sean, Rory and Volney, the Eric Morecambe lookalike.

Unfortunately Volney allegedly received a leg knock and had to retire to the bar, although he made a miraculous recovery later at night at the Party.

Although it was an old group Dulwich took it too far and had the oldest competitor of the day in Hutty, the man who calls CG Machine “son”.

The rest of their squad was made up by Mick, Shaun, Mishi, Phil, two Steves and Matt who once again shone in goals.

Well Posh were made up of some of our friends from both Motherwell and Peterborough and they included Andy Groom, Keachie, Jaffa, Barney, Rog and Paul.

Our Classic team at last found their level and played some lovely football in the group and they were represented at various times by Garfield Harvey, Tubsy, Crossers, Arthur, Wee Al, Jazza, Mister C and the redoubtable CG Machine.

The other team in the group were our long time friends Meadowbank Thistle who had appeared in the very first tournament, the Hampden Trophy, in 1987.

Amongst their veterans were Jah, Jimmy, Colin Neebs, The Pastor, the unfeasibly small Davie Gardiner, Bounce, Stormy (did he not used to play for us ?), Matt and Big Ted.

After all the old men had run about, or walked quickly, Well Posh and Classic QP finished in the top two and went through to the Semis.

This group also had the most self indulgent game of the day when The O’s played our Classic QP team in an eight a side contest.

Apart from the all important points, the famous Anglo/Scottish Trophy (first played for in 1988) was at stake and at the end of ten pulsating goalless minutes penalties were called for to separate the teams.

It was three penalties per side and Sean from The O’s went first and put his “shot” wide.

Under severe pressure, Mister C stepped up and calmly sent Stripey MaRipey the wrong way to put us ahead (“did I ever tell you about the penalty I scored at the Silver Jubilee Tournament…..zzzzzzzzzz”).

Stripey then took the O’s second kick and equalised for The O’s then our Arthur saw his kick saved, much to his delight of the veteran O’s keeper.

Up stepped Silly Arthur but Fat Martin made a tremendous stop which was very reminiscent of the save he made in the first ever Anglo/Scottish game in 1988.

The trophy was ours if we could score our last penalty and Jazza duly did with a big Jessie sclaf.

Anyway, on with the tournament………

Gary Brooks Masters – Group B

In the more competitive footballing group St.Mirren and Bristol Rovers (Glasgow branch) came top ahead of Nottingham Forest, Edinburgh City and Ormond Saints.

Gary Brooks Masters – Knockout

St.Mirren and Rovers won their Semi Finals and played out a goalless draw in the Final.

In the penalty shoot out St.Mirren scored from their kicks whilst Rovers missed theirs so the Buddies retained the Masters Trophy.

There was some strange talk about St.Mirren being too good for the Masters but the fact is that they are a team who have largely stayed the same as they were from their first visit in 1997 and are all pushing forty now.

There is no way they could compete in the main competition against younger legs and the Masters is the perfect tournament for them to play in.

Anyway, since when did the Sixes become all about winning ?

Gary Brooks Masters – Plate

For the first time we held a Plate for the Masters although there were only six competitors.

After failing to score in the group stages Ormond Saints turned on the style and won the Final 4-1 against Meadowbank Thistle.

Remarkably this was the first time that Meadowbank had reached a Final in one of our tournaments since the very first one in 1987 !

Rab MacDonald Youth Tournament

A couple of weeks before the tournament we were struggling for youth teams but on the day we managed to get six.

The difficulty we had was the different age groups but Cambuslang Juniors, a couple of years younger than the other teams, were happy to take part against their older opponents.

The older opponents were Eastfield A and B from Cambuslang, Govanhill and Queen’s Park.

It was Govanhill who finished top of the group and met Eastfield A in the Final.

In an entertaining and skillful Final Eastfield won 3-0 to retain the trophy.

A big thanks to Stephen Phillips for organising the Eastfield teams, David for the Cambuslang Juniors teams, Ryan McCue for the Govanhill team and to Alan and Duncan Raeburn for the Queen’s Park team.

The Presentations

The first trophy presented was the Rab MacDonald Youth Tournament and we were delighted that Rab’s wife Lorna and children Aimie and Ross made the journey from Appin to be at the Sixes.

Naturally Ross played for MacDonald Rovers during the day and Aimie made the presentation of the Youth Trophy to Eastfield A whilst the adult competitions were finishing.

Once all the Finals were completed the teams assembled in the Social Club and first of all Paul Joyce presented a memento to our two foreign visitors.

Paul also gave a memento to Meadowbank Thistle who were at the first tournament and were also a huge inspiration behind our idea to create an eleven a side team, without which there wouldn’t be any tournaments.

Our own Player of the Year Awards followed and Adam Walker deservedly received both the Top Scorer award and the Player of the Year from John “Crossers” Crosbie.

Fraser “Marzinho” Marr also picked up the inaugural “Goal of the Season” award for his 35 yard screamer against Ormond Saints in Perth.

The Players Player of the Year award had already been presented to Stuart Waugh a couple of weeks earlier after our game against Scotstoun Park Galaxy as he missed the Sixes due to being on holiday.

Crossers then presented the Plates to Ayr United and Ormond Saints, The Gary Brooks Masters to St.Mirren and medals to the runners up in the Ian Younger Sixes to Scotspurs, including their injured seventh man Dan Oliver who hopefully will be fighting fit for next year’s tournament.

Finally, Troon came forward to collect their medals and the Ian Younger Sixes Trophy.

Well, I say finally, but there was another two trophies to be presented and Jamie Stripe presented Mister C with a trophy from Leyton Orient to commemorate the 25th tournament.

Then Crossers made a moving speech and presented Mister C with an engraved silver plate and an expensive bottle of vodka from our own team.

Although delighted to receive the trophies Mister C remains a “no publicity” man !

After a short break we had the Football Quiz which Merthyr Town and Meadowbank Thistle tied for first place.

To decide the winner the question “name the 24 competing teams in the 1994 World Cup Finals” was asked and Merthyr won by 23 to 21.

Well done to Merthyr who only had Wolvesy in their team, the cubs having headed to Edinburgh to see the nightlife, although I believe he may have had a wee bit of help from some other teams !

Click here to see the 2011 Quiz.

The Party

With all the presentations out of the way it was time for the Party and DJ Helen performed to her usual high standard.

More people than ever stayed for the duration and were treated to all sorts of music ranging from Chas & Dave to Sidney Devine to The Sensational Alex Harvey band to BA Robertson to Three Lions to The Proclaimers to The Specials.

As ever the teams mixed superbly and the atmosphere was what you would expect at the Sixes party.

With people dancing on the tables an excellent night was had by all and it undoubtedly was one of the best Sixes ever, both during the day and at night.

Without whom………….

Of course there are always people to thank for their help to make the day a success.

First of all thanks to AKC Harvey who made it possible for us to use the facilities at Lesser and was in attendance during the day to give us any help we needed.

To Raph The Taff who once again magnificently looked after the football fixtures and had to answer the usual “when are we on” questions.

To Crossers, Paul and Donna who burst a gut during the day so that the “organiser” could spend time socialising with the many visitors we had.

To everybody who refereed, or acted as time keeper, during the day to keep order with very little in the way of bad behaviour being reported.

And to everybody who turned up and enjoyed themselves and who continue to make the Sixes the special day, and weekend, that it is.

See you at the 26th tournament….


Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here